Christmas is a time to remember good times from the past. Today is December 24th and I am here at work just putting in my time before we get let go early. I remember the many other December 24th‘s, and in particular the ones from the 70’s spent at a factory. The factory was Clark Porcelain owned by John Clark, the father of my best friend David.
I had worked summers at the factory- a big very hot and dirty place alongside the employees. At any time there were 20 to 40 employees and I knew most of them. Every year Mr. Clark, as I called him, had a Christmas party at the factory for all the employees and it was always on December 24. I attended many of these events while I was in high school and thereafter when I was home from university.
Mr. Clark was a good businessman and when I saw him at work he was all business in his demeanour. On December 24, with all of his employees, he was like Santa Claus.
The party was never anything fancy. Tables put together covered in brown crating paper. Paper plates and plastic knives. But then the food would arrive. Mr. Clark loved deli food and he would have ordered in a feast from a local deli. Then of course there was beer, wine and spirits. The eating and partying would start around noon and go well into the early evening. Around 3:00 pm or so, most of the group would end up in the office to sing Christmas carols. As many of the employees were recent immigrants the carol singing took on an international flavour and even if some of them did not celebrate Christmas we all enjoyed singing their own songs and adopted them as unofficial carols.
The fondest memory of all though is when Mr. Clark took the microphone and sang his favourite Christmas Carol- Little Town of Bethlehem. I cannot help but remember him each and every time I hear that song.
Sadly both Mr. Clark and his business are no longer with us. Merry Christmas Mr. Clark, Merry Christmas everyone.
2 comments:
What a lovely story. thanks for sharing it.
Joe:
This was a really touching story. Well said.
Post a Comment