December 24, 2009
On the drive in today I started to think about Christmas and the many Christmases I have experienced. I turned 55 at the beginning of the month and it occurred to me that I have experienced more Christmases that I will experience in the future. This sobering thought is a good a reason as any to make sure this, and all future ones, are as memorable and as good as possible.
One memorable Christmas was back when I was small. My mom’s sister (Mary) unexpectedly went into labour several weeks early on December 23rd. This would result in the birth of her third child (the third of five daughters) Debbie, but in the meanwhile my older cousins Mary and Carol had to stay with my family as my uncle Bill tended to my aunt.
Of course this was all a surprise and my parents had to make some quick adjustments and in particular for Christmas Eve. My dad’s work socks became my cousins’ Christmas stockings and last minute goodies had to be purchased to go in them. One of my cousins (I believe Carol (you know her as the one with the blog from the Yukon)) was really worried that Santa would not be able to find her. Santa left her a nice note which Carol found Christmas morning explaining that he had known along that she and her sister would be at my house. Disaster was averted and family had come to the rescue. Some memories, unlike people, never leave us.
Every Christmas while I celebrate with those who are near and dear to me, I remember those who are no longer here but just as near and dear to me and will be forever. I will always remember and love my grandparents (2 grandpas and one grandmother), my uncle Bill, my cousin Mary, Mr. and Mrs. Clark and my dear friend David Clark. All of these people were and remain significant parts of my Christmases past and present. Thanks to all of them for giving me such wonderful memories. I miss them all.
Merry Christmas to everyone.

2 comments:
This is a great post. Merry Christmas Joe.
Jen.
I can hardly believe your remembered the Xmas of '58.I was only 7 so you must have been very small. Perhaps Santa having to leave extra presents for us worried you or ... we were so much fun to have around the evening was unforgettable!! Great trip down memory lane. Seasons Greetings to you and your family!
Post a Comment