Normal 0 false false false EN-CA X-NONE X-NONE
December 24, 2010
Time again for my Christmas Eve post from work. Again, as in past years I am working Christmas Eve day. I do so for a few reasons and probably the most important is that we get out just after lunch but if you took this day as a holiday you have a use a full vacation day. While we are here at work no one is really doing any hard slogging. The Christmas party for the kids is underway and once that is over in a few hours the floors will be alive with hopped up tots running all over the place.
Looking back over my past Christmas Eve day posts, I note that I have written about Christmas’s past and the people that are no longer here. While the past is important it should not consume us. Today and the future is what we should concentrate on but recognising that we find ourselves where we are because of the past and the choices we made.
In that spirit I choose to celebrate Christmas and the spirit it evokes. My two favourite times are Christmas Eve itself and Boxing Day, or as we call it at home, pyjama day. Today, about 6, we will get pizza and have my parents over. The Christmas tree will be lit and we will eat our dinner. We will then exchange our gifts. My parents enjoy so very much giving to their grandchildren. My parents will then leave around 8 or so. I suspect Joey will then go out leaving Deb, Sarah and me to bask in the quiet and comfort that is Christmas Eve. It always seems to me that on Christmas Eve the world is at peace. Later on in the evening our good friend John will drop over and we will watch the Christmas Carole (the Alistair Sim version, still the best).
Sarah will want to go to sleep early because she knows that Santa will be coming. While other parents have had Santa disappear from their Christmases as their children got older, we have never had a Santa-less Christmas and we never will.
Christmas Day will be the present opening, eggs benedict for breakfast and then Joey and I cooking dinner.
But then, my most favourite day!!! Pyjama day!! Boxing Day. No calls in, no calls out, stay in and enjoy the toys and read and just relax. Does it get any better than that??
Let me end by saying that Christmas is a special time of year. It is a time of hope, peace, family and friends. I hope all of you get some time this holiday season to enjoy Christmas and all it offers to all of us regardless of race, creed or religion.
Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments:
Post a Comment